Monday, April 4, 2011

Writer with Sizzle Interview: Rhonda Carver

Please welcome Rhonda Carver!


About Rhonda:

Rhonda is a full-time romance author and a freelance editor. She enjoys writing contemporary, paranormal, suspense, and erotica. Her specialty is bad-ass heroes (charcoal hair, copper eyes, and heart of gold) and smart and sassy heroines. And her favorite subject is…men in military uniform. They make the perfect hero.

Reading her first romance novel at age thirteen, Rhonda was hooked. Her talent of bringing interesting characters to print and shaping happy endings are not only a passion of hers, but a dream career. She thinks the love between hero and heroine should be so steamy that it melts the ink off the pages.

If she’s not at her computer crafting a story, Rhonda enjoys reading romance, hanging out with her loved ones, or watching a movie that either pushes her to tears or has her rolling with laughter…and preferably both.

She lives in Ohio where she is a mother by day and a sensual writer by night. She has too many pets to name but has a place in her heart for each of them.

She believes everyone deserves romance in their life—one page at a time.

Lia: It's great to have you here, Rhonda! Have you ever cried or laughed out loud while writing a scene?

Rhonda: Writing Second Chance Cowboy was an emotional roller coaster. Packed with tragedy, from the death of loved ones, the introduction of a villain and divorce, there was many times I found myself sniffling and wiping tears. I think one of the greatest fears a parent has is the loss of a child. Carly and Chance suffered this loss and the pain drove a wall between them. But at the hands of fate, they are given a second chance.

Second Chance Cowboy excerpt:

Carly squeezed her hands into fists. “My poor husband. How difficult it is for him to manage his inflated ego and keep his zipper closed.”

“We’re divorced, remember?” His voice reeked of sarcasm.

She groaned in irritation. Her pulse pounded in her ears like the beating of a drum. Her claws were showing.

Chance didn’t blink an eye as he gazed at her across the room. “Honey, I can keep my pants zipped just fine. Problem is, you can’t keep your fingers off my zipper.”

Carly’s palm itched to slap him. “We live in a small town, Chance. How do you think it’s possible we haven’t run into each other more than three times in the last two years?” She cocked her chin. “Let me fill you in. I’ve done everything in my power to keep from bumping into you. Do you realize how difficult it is to plan my schedule weeks in advance so I don’t have to see you? Is that a description of a woman who can’t keep her fingers off your zipper?”

“No, more like a woman who’s afraid she’ll forget what screwed up our marriage in the first place, realize she’s made a huge mistake and get her ass back home.”

“Humph, fat chance that’ll ever happen.” She fumbled with the sheet in irritation and gave her hair a toss over one shoulder.

Damn, he did have a point, although she’d never admit it to him.

“Yeah, right, Carly, because you can’t ever forgive and forget, can you? You think you’re the only one who has lost, don’t you?” His eyes became steely pools of green. His voice turned low and controlled. “I lost Devon, too. He was my son--our son. How long are you going to keep blaming me for his death?”

Carly swallowed the painful lump in her constricted throat. “I don’t blame you.”

“Could have fooled me.”

“We both know why I left.”

“We do?” His bitter laugh split the air with its razor-sharp intensity. “I know you want to hold on to the belief that I am the bad guy who drove you away, but isn’t it time you took half the responsibility for the failure of our marriage?” A trace of compassion softened his expression. He tugged on his shirt and finger-combed his hair.

“It wasn’t my fault you cheated.” Once she said it, she wanted to yank the words back. Too late, just like their relationship.

“You’re a broken record, sweetheart. It’s not worth denying the accusation any longer. Maybe eventually you’ll believe your words and feel justified in leaving. Devon died, Carly. He’s gone and we can’t change the truth. One of us needed to make the decision to let him go and I made it. I held out hope you’d eventually find a sliver of forgiveness in your cold heart. I guess I was wrong.”

The old wound broke open and her lungs emptied of oxygen. She wanted to lash out at him, tell him to go to hell, but the words didn’t come. Instead, she whispered, “I’m going to the bathroom. When I get back I want you gone.”

“Carly, you’ve become an expert at sucking all the joy out of your life and pushing away anyone who reaches out to you. You’re living in a self-made prison, founded on guilt and pain, and there is no key to unlock the cell door.”

Lia: My heart is breaking for them. I’m glad they were given a second chance at happiness. Do you have a common theme in the books you write?

Rhonda: I like bad-ass heroes. The tougher the better. My hero starts out with an icy edge but along comes the heroine who melts him like a blow torch to butter. I like creating a hero who has been emotionally and/or physically wounded and then transform him into a better man at the hands of a strong, intelligent, sassy heroine. Chance, in Second Chance Cowboy, is a perfect example of what I like about a hero. He’s as tough as nails, borderline bitter, and is a hard headed man who steam rolls his way through life. But when it comes to Carly, he’s protective, kind and gentle. These two combinations, tough and sweet, enlighten the reader’s brain taste buds. I call it my ‘sweet and sour’ hero.

Lia: I love him already. One question that I love to ask is have your characters ever been caught having sex in public? How did that go?

Rhonda: In Second Chance Cowboy Chance and Carly made love by the pond, and although at the time they didn’t realize it, but they were being watched by the villain. I don’t exactly come out an say that the villain was a ‘peeper’ but I give reference to how he would know Carly has a birthmark on a very unusual part of her body.

Lia: Thanks for being a Writer with Sizzle, Rhonda! Where can readers find your books?

http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=370

http://thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4080

Other places to find Rhonda:

http://www.rhondaleecarver.com/

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000265604936

Facebook/Author Page
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000265604936#!/pages/Rhonda-Lee-Carver-Author/155568577811615

TWITTER
http://twitter.com/RLCarver

No comments: