Monday, October 5, 2009

Writers with Sizzle: Mary Winter


Please welcome the talented Mary Winter!

Lia: Hi, Mary. Great to have you here! What is your favorite thing about being a romance writer?

Mary: I like writing stories about people overcoming adversity to find love. If I can provide readers with an escape, with that “fuzzy” feeling that you have when you finish a romance novel and know that somewhere, at least, things do work out in the end. Creating such a story is fun, plus, it’s something I can share with my readers. I think we’re all readers first, just telling others about the great books we’ve read, or want to read.

Lia: I love that feeling. Do you have any advice for the budding romance writer?

Mary: Don’t give up. Keep trying. And take the time to learn your craft. Don’t think that just because you live in a remote location, or lack the money to join a national organization, that you can’t or don’t have opportunities to learn. There are plenty of online forums where writers can find critique partners, learn craft, or even take very cost-effective courses. A good web search engine is your friend!

Lia: Great advice, Mary. I love a story that makes me laugh on one page and cry on the next. Have you ever cried or laughed out loud while writing a scene?

Mary: Oh yes. In writing “Two in Hand” and now the sequel, “Two Point Proposition”, I’ve laughed out loud at some of the phrasings I’ve used, or at the comebacks my characters say. I’ve also cried. I wrote “StarMyst: Prodigal Son” shortly after the death of my own father. The scene where Edward dies never fails to bring tears to my eyes. I think if I don’t feel laughter, or tears, or something when I’m writing, then I’m not doing my job as a writer to make my readers feel, too.

Lia: That’s so true! Where can readers find your books?

Mary: My website is a great resource. All my available books are listed on the front page and have their own page where you can find links to buy. http://www.marywinter.com

Lia: I’m on my way over to check it out and I hope everyone else does the same. Thanks for being a Writer with Sizzle, Mary!

5 comments:

Helen Hardt said...

Mary, I just checked out your site. You are one prolific writer! I look forward to exploring your work, and I wish you many more success stories!

Helen

Fran Lee said...

Thanks for the great interview. Lia! Mary is great!

Monica Kaye said...

Hi Mary and Lia,
Great interview! I'm always crying with books!

Tessie Bradford said...

Mary, that "fuzzy" feeling is definitely why I read romance! Great interview, ladies.

Cari Quinn said...

Great interview! You're so right, Mary...if we don't feel the emotion of a scene as we write it, our readers won't either. Best of luck! :)